Friday, April 11

Healthy Blueberry Greek Yogurt Muffins


Growing up in my family when it was your birthday you got to pick out the entire day's meals. My choices often included something with blueberries, particularly when it came to breakfast. Blueberry pancakes and blueberry muffins were always on the top of my list. As an 11 or 12 year old I remember having the blueberry pancake recipe memorized and had my favorite recipe for blueberry muffins from the Taste of Home magazine my Mom used to receive.

According to my husband, "these muffins are amazing, the best I've had in a really long time, perhaps ever!" I'm not saying he's a muffin connoisseur but these morsels of blueberry goodness are at the top of the muffin pyramid (if there was such a thing).


They are light, moist, soft and not too sweet. Practically perfect in my eyes!

Recipe adapted from It's Always Autumn

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour- if grinding your own grain use the "pastry" setting
1 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup oil (light olive or coconut would both be good)
1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon orange or pineapple juice
1/4 cup milk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg at room temperature (a quick way to warm your egg is to place it in a bowl of warm water for about 5 minutes)

Optional Toppings 
cinnamon sugar
chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees,

Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and blueberries in a bowl. If using frozen blueberries, do not thaw. In a separate bowl whisk together the remaining ingredients until smooth. Gently fold the dry mixture into the wet and stir just until combined. Spoon batter into lined or oiled muffin tins. Sprinkle desired toppings and bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.






No comments:

Post a Comment